Import & Export Compliance Training
Export training and import training are critical to ensure your international trade programs remain compliant with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
Exporting and importing can be a nightmare for any business that conducts foreign trade because international business is more complex than ever before, and U.S. regulations are constantly changed.
Global trade demands that your import-export business keeps all employees involved with supply chain management are compliance with regulations established by various U.S. regulatory agencies.
All businesses can quickly find themselves in hot water with the U.S. government if they violate any part of ITAR or EAR. Whether you are a small business or startup just starting or an established business with years of experience, you need employees updated on importing and exporting requirements.
What Are The Different Types Of Import And Export Training?
Your global business has to consider lots of issues when you engage with the international market. It’s easy to get lost in the day-to-day activities of a business. With one oversight, your business could get hit with trade violations that will disrupt operations management across the board.
Export Solutions employs industry leaders who deliver engaging and relevant information to equip your employees and help your business management avoid costly fines and penalties. We offer in-class workshops and online courses to keep your team updated with timely course material.
We know that not all employees need to go through training courses each year, and this is why we customize our in-class and online learning sessions around the needs of your team. We provide step-by-step import-export courses to ensure your company has the information you need to remain compliant at each stage of supply chain management.
Here are a few of our most popular training courses used by importers and exporters:
1. New Employee Orientation
Do you have new employees who oversee critical parts of trade compliance for your international business? This type of training is an excellent opportunity for new employees to get acquainted with the company’s export policies and procedures.
This overview also helps them understand how their job duties interact with these regulations and introduce them to key players in this process should they have any questions about complying with rules or processes of international trade.
2. Annual Training Sessions
Import-export regulations are constantly changing, and it’s vital that your teams are updated on all regulatory changes in foreign trade. It’s important that employees of every department are aware of what the export regulations and internal policies and procedures mean to them.
This training should be tailored to each employee to understand how these things affect their roles, responsibilities, etc. Newer versions will also need a review because those might have changed too since your last training session or update on this topic.
3. General Company-Wide Awareness
Import-export training is an essential part of a company’s operations, and every employee should be required to attend. Export policies can get confusing for some employees in particular roles, so they might not have engaged with the potentially problematic ones yet–and it would take too much time to retrain those who are already skilled at their specific tasks (such as accounting).
It may seem that there shouldn’t need to be such strict rules about this sort of thing, but without them, companies risk losing export business due to poor client service or other mishaps by forgetful staff members.
4. Training Your Internal Trade Compliance Officers
Our training courses are the perfect solution if you want to train up an internal team for your business management needs. Most import-export compliance teams go through 1 or 2 online courses with us to get an in-depth understand of their job roles and how to stay in compliance with ITAR/EAR regulations.
As you can see, every employee plays some role in keeping your company compliant with import-export regulations.
We offer a range of compliance training services that address the real-world needs your company faces every day. Our training is comprehensive and covers ITAR, EAR, OFAC, U.S. Customs, and other import/export rules and regulations.
What Is Compliance Training Right For Your Business?
Not sure if your employees should enroll in one of our compliance training sessions? Here are a few questions to ask yourself to determine if you need a training course:
- Does your company work with the defense industry or other products/technologies subject to export restrictions?
- Do you import or export anything from other companies (sourcing raw resources or machined components)?
- Do you have a workforce spread across the world?
- Does your company provide products or services that deal with the development, manufacturing, maintenance, or storage of technology, software, or data?
- Do you employ foreign persons in any of your facilities?
Your business could benefit from our compliance training courses if you have answered “yes” to any of the above questions. Our team will provide your employees with the information you need to remain compliant in all areas of international trade.
What Your Team Will Learn At Our Import-Export Courses
Export Solutions has the experience that your business needs to be your trusted one-stop provider for all of your import/export needs. We only hire trade compliance leaders who have a minimum of 10 years of experience, and most of our team members have over 20 years of experience in the trade industry.
We know that your business is essential, and you can’t risk working with a consultant who is fresh out of college or has minimum experience. A trade consultant with only two or three years of experience can’t practically speak to your needs.
- A Basic Awareness Import Compliance: A basic awareness program can be a significant first step to ensure your team has a basic understanding of export controls, but it cannot replace additional more-focused and specific education & training for those requiring more in-depth expertise.
- Automated Commercial Environment (ACE): Our webinars and online courses show you how to use ACE to process goods efficiently. Our online training will give your team valuable insight into how to sign up for access and utilize the reports and answer queries from Customs.
- HTS Training: Learn how the structure of the Harmonized System, HTS punctuation and language, and HTS classifications, along with other valuable information that your team can use today!
- Valuation: You can’t expect your customs broker to teach you everything about import compliance. Our online training equips your team with practical guidelines for managing your customs broker so that you can enjoy a more seamless, efficient process.
- INCOTERMS: INCOTERMS helps traders avoid costly misunderstandings and identify potential fees and liabilities that could impact the price of goods. Importers, exporters, retailers – anyone who deals with trade needs to thoroughly understand these guidelines in order to take advantage of discounts on services like freight forwarding or insurance coverage.
- Transfer Pricing and Customs Requirements: Transfer pricing and valuation under U.S. customs law can be confusing, but our hands-on tutorials and training will help you understand the elements importers need to take into account when determining price or value for import purposes!
- Reasonable Care: Using Reasonable Care throughout your company’s Trade Compliance Program will help you meet all the government requirements and be compliant with export/import transactions.
- C-TPAT: The Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) was created to help facilitate international trade movement and security. It is a voluntary program that creates close partnerships between CBP and members to ensure safety for all parties involved.
- Drawbacks: The drawback process is not easy. The regulations are complex and extensive, but duty drawbacks can significantly impact import-export businesses’ bottom line if done correctly.
- FTAs: Understanding FTAs and how they can assist your business can seem like a daunting task, but our team is here to make sure you meet the requirements of these agreements. Our experienced professionals will ensure that all reporting obligations or certifications (or re-certs) for each FTA are met in order to maximize savings while staying compliant with an agreement’s rules.
- Duty Deferral and Duty Savings: Imported goods can be stored in a foreign trade zone without importing them. Imports are taxed when they enter the U.S., but not before that point- meaning any money spent on storage is an investment, and revenue left over from sales of imported items will never have to pay import tax again!
- Marking of Country of Origin: This training program will focus on regulations that apply to most goods imported into the United States and illustrate them with examples. The course will cover the country of origin marking for exports from the U.S. while shedding light on how these laws affect importers.
Unlike some of our competitors, we do not “sell” you with experts and then assign you a junior-level associate once the engagement begins. Export Solutions will partner you with our top talent — consultants who have the skills, background, and availability to meet your company’s needs and expectations.
Custom-Tailored Import Export Courses Based On Your Needs
We understand that the type of training depends on specific job functions, and we customize each course based on your team and their needs. There are several ways that your business will benefit from our compliance training sessions, including:
- Provide knowledge that your employees can use to identify the necessary changes to prevent potential violations.
- Discover red flags that could lead to steep fines and penalties in your business. The more you learn about import/export compliance, the more you realize how much your business
- may need to improve your current program.
- If you are in trouble with the government, your business could see a substantial decrease in fines and penalties if your staff completes compliance training sessions.
- Basic awareness training for all employees delivered remotely or in-person at your facility.
- “Deep-dive” courses on specific compliance topics, offered remotely or in-person.
- Online, user-led sessions with test functions, audio/video, and sophisticated recordkeeping.
Customized Compliance Training For Your Company
The compliance training that our staff offers is packed with value from the moment you begin to work with us. Unlike other firms and training solutions, we do not charge “per attendee” — you only pay for our time, regardless of how many people you have in the room. This is a considerable cost saving for your organization!
All employees must receive adequate compliance training in current ITAR, EAR, and OFAC laws. Our compliance instructors will structure each course to be easy-to-follow and utilize learning methods that are comprehensive and engaging.
As part of our training, we also take time to identify your unique problems and train to those issues. This makes the training more efficient and relevant for the audience.
We are here to simplify, educate and alleviate existing and potential problems. We encourage companies to start consulting with us early. Start with the basic compliance training, then move into advanced training as need. Once we have identified your needs, we will only train in those areas which are efficient and effective.
Our team is ready to provide your company with the best compliance training solutions available. Claim your no-charge consultation today!