Director of Global Trade & Compliance
Are you a compliance expert who also has the people skills needed to make things work in a fast-paced, global environment? We are looking for the Director of Global Trade & Compliance, who will help ensure that our client ships and receives product in adherence with all laws and regulations worldwide. This person will oversee all aspects of the company’s global trade initiatives. They’ll also work closely with the sales department and other peers to help balance risks and keep global logistics processes in line with the company’s core values.
This is a full-time salaried position located in the San Jose, California area.
- Location:San Jose, CA
- Employee Type:Full-Time
- Industry:Import/Export Compliance
- Manages Others:Yes
- Job Type:Salaried (Executive)
- Education:Bachelor's Degree
- Experience:10 years minimum
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the company’s trade compliance program, which includes export/import classifications, licensing determinations, denied party screenings and sanctions programs, identifying deemed exports and more.
- Ensure that all shipments conform to U.S. Governmental and foreign regulations.
- Oversee the review and approval of all commercial invoices, license applications, and any other paperwork required for international shipments.
- Evaluate and enhance the company’s global trade compliance procedures to align with business objectives.
- Responsible for the correct classification, usage and reporting of Export Control Classification Numbers (ECCNs), tariff codes (HTSUS), Country of Origin information, and Free Trade Agreements.
- Interface with other business functions to ensure documentation is accurate and maintained.
- Manage the filing of applicable reports with U.S. Government (Automated Commerce Environment (ACE)/Automated Export System (AES), et. al) and foreign jurisdictions.
- Oversee the required record retention of documents to ensure recordkeeping and reporting requirements are maintained in accordance with the U.S. regulations and are also in a manner whereby audits are completed quickly and without material issues.
- Monitor the conduct of business activities for adherence to import/export procedures throughout the business, including early-stage review of new products and classification of commodities through final delivery to customer.
- Conduct periodic compliance gap assessments and audits to identify issues; works with management to implement corrective actions.
- Partner with Sales and Engineering departments to structure global transactions to ensure adherence with U.S. import/export laws and regulations, as well as laws/regulations of foreign jurisdictions.
- Team player who can respond in a timely manner to questions from Sales and Engineering departments related to international transactions.
- Train business functions with regard to U.S. import/export regulations, as well as international logistics and processes.
- Collaborate with the Legal Department to ensure that transactions are appropriately described in contracts.
- Work with attorneys and trade compliance consultants to assist in overall maintenance of the company’s compliance program.
- Take a proactive, leadership role in driving change and process improvement throughout the organization.
- Supervise team to support initiatives above
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in international trade or another related field
- 10+ years of international trade experience
- Licensed U.S. Customs Broker is a plus, but not necessary
- Law degree is a plus, but not necessary
- Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States
Core Competencies and Skills:
- We are looking for an expert. To succeed in this role, you must have practical experience working in the regulations, policies, and laws affecting international trade, including those related to technology, dangerous goods, currency, environmental concerns, Incoterms 2010, taxes and security, among other issues.
- We are looking for a problem solver. Ideal candidates will have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- We are looking for a leader. To succeed in this role, you will need proven ability to interface professionally with all levels and functions of the organization, as well as customers. The ideal candidate will have a strong track record of proactive leadership.
- We need a team player. Can you “win” people to your side? Can you demonstrate leadership and foster a team spirit that makes departments want to work with you (instead of against you)? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to help the company stay compliant and succeed? If so, we want to talk with you.
- Candidates must have exceptional customer service skills.
- You must be able to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- The ideal candidate will be able to work under minimal or no supervision.
Contact Information to Apply
Qualified applicants must send a current resume to Gail Seago, Human Resources Manager:
Human Resources Manager
Export Solutions, Inc.
Mobile: (407) 760-6372
Trade Compliance Specialists